Event Thursday, May 14, 2009
On Thursday, May 14, 2009, from 6 - 9 pm, enjoy "Arts on the Move" -- a
FREE night of exhibitions and special programming that explores
immigrant artist experiences. Six museums and cultural institutions
around Austin will offer FREE extended evening hours for a one-night
community arts tour. Meet artists, speak with curators, and enjoy refreshments.
Participating exhibitions include:
* 6 - 8 pm, join curator Dr. Suzy Seriff at The Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum in the special exhibition "Forgotten Gateway: Coming to America Through Galveston Island", which explores the forgotten history of Galveston Island as an immigration gateway. A wine reception will follow.
* 6 - 9 pm Austin Museum of Art is offering special docent-lead tours of the exhibit "Lordy Rodriguez: The States of America", one artist's fanciful geography of a re-imagined United States landscape.
* 6 - 9 pm, enjoy refreshments and meet artist Tien Nguyen at Austin History Center as he shares his "Micro Art" (painting on grains of rice), along with miniature replica models of planes and helicopters. Nguyen's work can be seen in the exhibition "Vietnam to Austin: Restoring Community," through July 17.
* 6 - 9 pm, Mexic-Arte Museum presents its "25th Anniversary Permanent Collection Exhibition: A Legacy of Change," that explores the complexity and impact of Mexican and Latino/a art in the United States.
* 7 - 9 pm, meet artist Liliana Wilson and enjoy light refreshments at Mexican-American Cultural Center as part of the exhibition "Right Now From Far Away," which raises contemporary visions of migration, gender conflicts, political concerns, and cultural roots, all seen from a different border.
* 6 - 9 pm, The George Washington Carver Museum and Cultural Center presents "Who We Are," a survivor-centered storytelling and documentation project embracing the great range of Gulf Coast communities following Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, featuring the work of photographer Alice McNamara.
Experienced Nail Techs wanted at high-end day spa! More info 523-8540.